Monday, February 16, 2009

Tasty Tuesday

Our Lives In a Nutshell

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This recipe is filled with so much awesomeness, you won’t believe your taste buds.  Try it, I dare you.

Ingredients

  • 4 T. extra-virgin olive oil

  • 5 large cloves of garlic, minced

  • 1 small brown onion, chopped  (I’m not sure what a brown onion is, so I just used whatever yellow or white onion I had on hand.)

  • 1 box (1 qt.) chicken broth    (Trader Joe’s)

  • 3/4 box (1 qt.) creamy tomato soup    (Trader Joe’s)

  • 3 cans (15 oz.) tomatoes.  Make 1 or 2 of the cans Fire Roasted.  Puree tomatoes undrained until smooth.

  • 1 t. pepper

  • 2 t. cumin

  • 2 t. chili powder

  • 4 frozen chicken breast halves

  • 1 1/2 cups frozen fire roasted corn kernels   (Trader Joe’s)

  • 1 can (15 oz.) black beans

Directions

  • In a large pot, or Dutch oven (like my sh019iny new one!!) sauté garlic and onion in evoo until soft.
  • Add all remaining ingredients except corn and beans and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer approx. 1 hour.
  • Remove chicken, shred, and return to pot.  Add corn and beans, simmer 15 minutes more.
  • Serve with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips.

I got this recipe from Karen, a lady in my church.  I’ve only met her one time very recently, but have been following her blog for a little while now.  Any recipe she puts up is so delicious.  I think I’ve made just about everything she’s posted in the last couple of months.  A while back she posted a recipe for a mean blueberry French toast that has now become our traditional Christmas morning breakfast.  She also, through her blog and emails, taught me to pour my own candles.  Awesome.  Enjoy the soup!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Well - I must admit I have several Tortilla soup recipes and I have found one that I really enjoy - but I'm giong to give this one a try next time I can get to Trader's! (which won't be until May, but I'll get there!!)

Thanks a million. Now I'm going to have to go check out her other recipes!

G&S said...

Where oh where are you? Noticed you haven't updated anything on your blog and haven't heard back from my e-mails or phone call yesterday. You okay? Just making sure! Hope you guys are doing well, maybe it's been super busy???
Love you!

~Shi