Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Boy, oh, Boy

Well, I was going to start out with a sarcastic comment about how we have a new National Community Organizer (my mom’s witty comment!), but I’ll refrain.  Instead, I’ll write about what the Lord has laid on my heart about the election.

It’s really quite simple: “Every person is to be in subject to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God,” Romans 13:1-2.

National Community Organizer President-Elect Obama was put in place by God, whether we like it or not, according to Scripture.  The thing is, we should be praising God because His will was accomplished last night, again, whether we approve or disapprove of the results.  There are so many verses, especially in the Psalms that speak of the Lord ruling the nations from His throne above (Psalm 47:2, 47:7-8, 93:1, 96:10, 97:1, 97:9, Daniel 2:21, just to name a few), that we can and should be confident that it was God who not only knew what the election results would be, but caused it to happen.

As believers, we are citizens of heaven and earth, and while we are to be concerned about earthly matters, the more important and better concern for us is on things above.  We are to seek first God’s kingdom and set our minds on things above.

So rest assured you politically weary friends, that our God is in control of the earth.  We may not approve of our new President’s policies or views, but God is quite clear that we are to be in subject to him.  We should be praying for him and imploring the Lord to put godly men and women around him and for the Spirit to draw him to Himself so that he may come to know the Lord one day and be saved from God’s wrath.  As I constantly remind my boys, wouldn’t that be an action that pleases God? 

I’ll leave you with this verse that is quite a comfort for such a time as this: “The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, and His sovereignty rules over all” Psalm 103:19.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Thank you thank you thank you. As you may well guess, this is a hard pill for me personally to swallow, but one that I'm grateful that God laid on my heart a week or so ago, so I've had time to warm up to it. I've still got a ways to go - Mac and I prayed for him this morning, and I am a little embarrassed to say that I still couldn't pray for him by name, but I'm getting there.

(PS - do you think we have until inauguration day to speak out against him? ;o) JUST KIDDING.)

Jessica said...

Here here! I've been struggling since he won with what to feel. Like Rush said, it's a monumental day for blacks in this country, but it doesn't make it any less sad that a man with his political views won the Presidency. Thanks for a Biblical view of what happened and how to handle it!

Shaun and Melisa said...

Great post Jen! I love the bible verses to let us know who is in control! I believe it is our responsibility to come together as a country and support our President. I have struggled to find even one thing I agree with, but I will pray for him and support him as our President. Hope you guys are doing well!

Lindsay said...

Amen to that. I felt the same way after the election...but then remembered that nothing surprises God. He allowed this to happen - so here we are...I will be praying for Obama - he obviously needs prayers.

Anonymous said...

I would like someone to explain to me what is un-Christian about being a community organizer. Wasn't Jesus a sort of community organizer?